Monday, December 7, 2015

Let the Spirit do the converting.



Dear Family and Friends,

I am now fine. Still probably trying to get used to the weather and food and stuff. 
I have a couple of questions/requests: First: what day of the week was I born on? Here they have names depending on the day. People always ask me so I need to know. Second: Can you send stamps in your letters? I have been using envelopes with stamps left by Elder Johnson who has gone home. I believe that is all.
Thank you for the prayers. I think they may have saved me from malaria. Last week I was having all the symptoms for it but the next day they had gone away. 
So an accounting of my week:
Monday: District activity: We made Jolaf also which was pretty sweet.
Tuesday: District Council: Talked about how we can develop faith to find.
Wednesday: Went to the village of Amanfrom. Taught an old pentecost man named Boateng and a young Jehovah Witness named David. Both lessons were powerful.
Thursday: Same kind of day as Tuesday minus the district council. 
Friday: Back to Amanfrom. Not a whole lot of success. Couldn't find anyone. We went to Assaase Aban and contacted.
Saturday: Oh Boy!! We met a Rastafarian!! The experience will be posted below.
Sunday: Church. Got two referrals and both are pretty powerful.
Ok so the Rasta man! We were contacting on Saturday and walked to this one house where the guy was out. He was busy doing some one or two things so he told us to come back around 3. We did and then the fun started. We sat down and began talking. We asked a simple question and he went on and on and on just rambling. Turns out he was high on weed and had just got done smoking in his room. He was so so high! We were about to leave when it started to rain. We had to seek cover under his porch. We continued discussing and whenever we paused he would stand up, walk to his anti thief bars, spread out his arms, and then just talk to the world. Whenever we asked him a question he would go "Ahhhhh that's the poem". He would then continue to speak and every now and then would throw in "But they say I talk too much..." This guy was fantastic!!
We also met a guy who said that America is evil because we have 51 states and all of them allow gay marriage. Hahahahahaha these people just are so so super cool. 
I have received letters from: Grandma and Grandpa Walch, Kaila, Bethany, Jeff, Allison, Chad, the Deiberts, Baye, and dad. Emails have come from: Uncle Shane, Jeff, Elder Tabor, Mom, Baye, dad, Allison, and Elder Pulsipher.
My shoes are doing well. The non echoes give me blisters so I don't wear them. Clothes are also well. I have had to mend two pairs of pants that ripped in a very revealing manner.
Thank you all so so much for your prayers and your support. Where I would be without such great examples in my life would be a scary place.
I have somewhat to say to all those who desire to serve a mission: Although you may think that conversion comes when you show others that they are wrong using the bible as the source, true conversion comes through the spirit. Sister Mackie, My senior year seminary teacher always taught us that we can take our message to  others, but only the Spirit can take it into their hearts. As I taught that Jehovah's Witness boy last week, I remembered what cousin Steven told me one night while in the spa. He said to "resist the urge to bible bash. Even if you know the bible better than the investigator. Just don't do it." as this JW came out with scriptures, instead of thinking how to easily confound him I thought how I could help him understand that what we carry as missionaries is of so great worth to all mankind, and that its proof comes from the bible and the Book of Mormon together. I felt prompted to just bear my simple testimony that Jesus is the Christ and that the Book of Mormon is true. As I just opened my mouth, the Spirit filled it with the words this boy needed to hear. I testify that you can argue with others until you're blue in the face. You can bible bash till the words fall off its pages. True conversion comes as a result of the Spirit. I love the gospel and love to share it. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on the earth.
Love Elder Walch

No comments:

Post a Comment